Sunday 31 August 2014

10 things Tumblr taught me

I have a confession to make – I am one of those tumblr addicts. I often hit post limit. I have multiple fandom blogs on my account. When I close my eyes I still see the blue of my dashboard as it scrolls downwards… Okay, so I made the last one up. But you get my drift.

Having been on tumblr for about seven years (one of my most popular blogs just celebrated its sixth birthday, thank you very much), I have witnessed the good, the bad and the downright scary that is Tumblr. 

Here are 10 things the wonder that is tumblr has taught me:

10. Supernatural fans are everywhere
I don’t even watch Supernatural, but I have a better than average working knowledge of the cast and their shenanigans. I don’t think I’ve ever purposefully followed a Supernatural blog, yet it is always turning up on my dashboard. I have even unwillingly been subjected to my fair share of Supernatural fanfiction… I don’t want to talk about this anymore.

9. Tumblr after dark is a scary place
Point in case: night blogging. Any resemblance of sanity the collective tumblr users have during the day time (relative depending on your time zone) becomes completely annihilated once it hits evening in your country.

8. Any form of discrimination is NOT okay
It is probably the most accepting of all the social media platforms. If anyone is seen using a racist/sexist/anti-feminist/homophobic etc. slur, they get called out pretty pronto.

7. You are never alone
I have found it to be a place of acceptance and love. If I have made a post about a bad day, I often get several inboxes from total strangers offering to talk my problems through with me, or just giving me a random reason to smile. 
There are millions of users who are actively blogging things that you are personally passionate about; it’s like having a lovely, online family. If you are on a down day, even typing the word ‘depression’ into the search bar will trigger tumblr to refer you to helpful resources, such as the Samaritans.

6. Your selfies will never go without a like
It is a rule. Tumblr appreciates everyone for their own unique beauty – both inside and out.

5. If you thought you were super weird; you’re not
I say this in the most loving way possible, but there are some pretty strange people on tumblr! My favourite by user snazziest: “Imagine if teeth giggled when you brushed them because they’re ticklish”. The mind boggles…

4. If tumblr users worked at the Oscars – Leonardo di Caprio would have thousands
It is no secret that Mr di Caprio is incredibly underrated when it comes to winning awards for his acting. However, tumblr seems to have some incredibly strong, and frankly insane, feelings about it. For example, the infamous sad Leo Oscars selfie:

 3. Tumblr practically has its own language
Most of them are fandom / movie references, where tumblr users can have their own inside jokes.

  •          I came to have a good time and honestly I’m feeling so attacked right now
  •          The "I don’t think you even tried at all" star
  •          I just
  •          TFW
  •          asdfghjkl
  •          nice nice very good
  •          such fun much love
  •          I’m back, b*tches
  •          why is this a thing
  •          sassy tumblr is sassy
Oh, and punctuation totally isn’t allowed. (But get your grammar wrong at your own risk…)

2. The tumblr staff are just as crazy as their users
If they are not adding to your text post with some sassy remark, calling their users idiots, creating ridiculous terms and conditions in the hopes we will spot them, then they are making making awful jokes, for example...

1.  Love comes in the most unexpected of places
I’m going to make number one short and sweet. I met my beautiful boyfriend of nearly ten months on tumblr after he sent me a very nice inbox, and the rest is history. 

No comments:

Post a Comment